Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Surviving Chick Flicks

I am writing this in hopes that I can help my fellow men out there. Winter is coming so this is the worse time of the year for this. No matter how much we try to avoid it, eventually we end up having to watch the dreaded “Chick Flick.” Recently it has happened to me.

After I had the love of my life watch “Trekkies 2” I was informed that I will now have to sit through 3 (three) “Chick Flicks”. This was done as some sort of punishment for the mentioned documentary. I found the movie good, not as well rounded as “Trekkies”. Though I have been asked if I was featured in this movie. (The answer is no, but I do have Sci-Fi convention stories.)

I am prepared though. I have researched and found several movies that Venusians dig, and that are watch able by us Martians.

The following list has been put together over the last several years. These are chick flicks that men like. Most are older movies. I update as I see them. Comments are very welcome.

To qualify to be on this list, the movie must:
Be entertaining, to both people watching.
Be sappy, tear jerker
Action is ok, but not an action movie.
I have had a tear fall at least once watching these movies

Ok, here goes!

An Affair to Remember – I refer to the Clark Gable version. I love this movie. It is sweet, funny, and has several tear jerking moments.

Say Anything – My favorite of the John Cossack collection. You could easily place any of his other movies in this list.

Fools Rush In – The only movie I like Matthew Perry in. Selma is awesome and the characters are very well done.

Return to Me – Plenty of laughs and a plenty of romance. Shows relationships from both sides.

100 Girls – Funny and heart warming. Though I was told once that this is a guy movie, disguised as a chick flick.

Life As A House – Kevin Cline is great in this.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding – Family and the relationship. Handles it very well.

Where the Heart Is – I own this one. The character development is incredible. If you have not seen this, go get it. My favorite by far in the chick flick grouping.

Shrek 2 – I always tear up during the “Holding Out For A Hero” part.


That’s my base list. I hoe that helps guys!

I may have to add “The Sweetest Thing”, but that is still up in the air. Seems to be a little too much oral sex and breast touching to be a chick flick. I have also got the recommendation of “Connie and Carla” that I will have to check out.


4 Comments:

Blogger brooksba said...

Uncle Larry!

Yea! A new post. =) I'm happy now.

I like the movies on your list. Return to Me and Life as a House are a couple of my absolute favorites.

Have you seen About A Boy? It's a story about a man who finally grows up with the help of a kid. There's a love story in it, but it's not mainly about the love story. You might like it.

I would recommend Connie and Carla. It's fun and I laughed a lot.

Beth

11:07 PM  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Maybe it's just me but I'm a little upset that your list doesn't include the following:

Con Air, Gone In 60 Seconds, The Rock, Johnny English, Independence Day, Big Trouble and also Big Trouble In Little China

These are awesome movies because they have extremely hot male stars (yes, I am saying Rowan Atkinson is hot. You got a problem with that?) and there is tons of action and things blowing up. The real clincher is, of course, that there is romance interspersed throughout the things blowing up. I have different versions as to what constitutes a chick flick then most women. I'm more of a romantic comedy/action movie kind of girl then the dramas. Stupid dramas with their making me cry, I have enough problems not crying at commercials and previews for Disney movies.

You might like Love Actually. And I am very fond of Torch Song Trilogy but some people have a problem with that because it's a love story about a drag queen. If you're open minded, it's quite beautiful and tear inspiring. Plus, I have never seen Matthew Broderick look so hot in any other movie.

This is a much longer comment than I meant it to be. Sorry.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Firebear said...

Yes, i love torch song trilogy. Good choice!

12:32 PM  
Blogger Kelly Hanson said...

I would suggest Raising Helen with Kate Hudson and the guy from Northern Exposure and My Big Fat Greek Wedding. I'd also add Calendar Girls. If you haven't seen either, give them a chance.

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lansing, Michigan, United States

Desert Shield/storm vet. I am the one at work who comes up with the ideas on filling up those non-work hours. (ok, who is up for canoeing this weekend?) After several wrong turns, have finally found the love of my life.

Powered by Blogger