Saturday, October 16, 2004

With Great Talent...

When I got out of the US Navy in 1993 I started on a chain of different jobs. Even spent 3 and a half years with a temp service. You name some odd job; chances are good I’ve done it. I have become multi-talented in my life. Always wandering. I believe the term would be vagabond. I also did a lot of dating. Which is weird because in high school I could not get a date to save my life.

I have settled into one place now. Same job, same love. Really she is the reason for me suddenly being stable.

I have:
Owned a retail store
Outside sales
Theater stage manager
Security
Santa Claus
Medical Courier
Stuffed envelopes
Social worker
Bartender
Marketing Executive for a publishing company
Script writer for radio ads

Many more. All of them blog worthy. So for all the jobs I had, I do have a hidden talent that most of my friends do not know about.

I once won a karaoke singing contest. YEs, my hidden talent is that I can sing. The small Japanese Bar/Resteraunt we hung out at in the early 90’s was also a "Mr. Microphone" bar. We had fun there. Good friends, good staff, and we could get our mixed drinks by the pitcher with a straw. Those carefree navy days! We even got to meet the band Winger when they came in after a concert one night! Yes, Winger!

Anyway. The song was "Should I Stay or Should I Go". I was on the stage and when the person who I felt was the best singer in the place got second place, I was thinking, "Wow. I wonder who got first place?"

That was also the end of my singing career. The contract offers came in, but I turned them down. Winger even called me months later, wanting me to replace their lead singer, but I passed. Really, once you reach the top of the karaoke circuit, what’s left?

There are those who might say I am wasting my talent. Maybe. I have been known to belt out a song once and a while, but I am careful. With great talent comes great responsibility. Talent corrupts, absolute talent corrupts absolutely. Or something like that.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, Larry, since you are my long lost brother and all, don't you think it's about time that the family knows what her name is? It's driving me crazy! And crazy is not a place you want me to go to...

What happened to the hot tub salesman story? I have been waiting patiently.

I was thinking the exact same thing about Power from Despair.com that Matt wrote. He is so my son more than Keem's.

Anyway, Dude, as always, you rock. Later.

7:29 PM  
Blogger brooksba said...

Hello Uncle Larry!

You ROCK! Man, I wish you could come to karaoke with us!

I want to know your love's name. She is my aunt and all. I agree with Papa Dana (lots of A's) and you should tell us.

I would love the blog worthy stories of your previous careers! That's my vote!

Beth

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lansing, Michigan, United States

Desert Shield/storm vet. I am the one at work who comes up with the ideas on filling up those non-work hours. (ok, who is up for canoeing this weekend?) After several wrong turns, have finally found the love of my life.

Powered by Blogger