Thursday, August 26, 2004

I'm not good at politics.

I think we learn how to react to others in High School. That theory comes from not just my current office envirement, but also my 20 years of adult work places. The high drama, backstabbing, and clichés that are part of going to High School are always blamed on hormones. If that is true then there something in the coffee at work, because everyday I see adults ranging from 20 through 60 years of age acting like they are going to get busted for being in the hallway with out a pass.

Let me say up front, I hated high school. I was not only a weirdo, I was a weirdo magnet. I was always surrounded by the offbeat, nerdy, geeky, outcast. Mostly by choice. Can think of several times I was offered the chance to go to the big parties, hang with the right people. What fun would that have been. I haven't changed. I would rather be the load, do my own thing type, then the sit quietly and don't question. My group of cubicles at work (8 of us, well 7 now, but I'm getting to that) have the best time. We laugh, joke, kid all day. Before you point a finger, we also have the best numbers in the building.

Some in the office like this about us, the if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Others could care less what we do, they have their jobs; they do it and go home. Then of course there are the ones that, for what ever reason, have to try and bring you down, complain about you, point out mistakes (and this is never done to your face).

I'm not good at politics. You got a problem with me and feel the need to talk to me about it, then hey, I don't have a door on my cubicle, feel free to walk in. I'm the one on the corner, with the pirate flag and the Play dough island (another story).

My problem being that when you talk about me, I'm going to react one of two ways. I’m going to pull into my own little world. Surrounded by my friends who actually support me. Everyone is happy, the problem goes away, and no one is the worse for wear.

Then there is the other reaction. I basically call the person out, usually in a way that makes it very clear that I am pissed off and tired of having my buttons pushed. This usually causes much discomfort for everyone involved. Mass suicides. Dogs living with cats.

Wish I could say which way I’m going to react. As I’ve gotten older, I have been more the first then the second.

Then there was last week. It wasn’t pretty.

I’m not going to go into what happen. It just sounds way too childish. Let’s just say, our 8 person cubicle is now down to 7. I hope she enjoys her new desk, on the other side of the office. Got to love working in an office!

1 Comments:

Blogger CarpeDM said...

Ah, the politics of the workplace. What fun, what excitement, what a load of bs. I know the feeling so well. It is a lot like high school, isn't it? Not so much with the cliques but there's always that feeling that if you're not careful, someone's going to go and tell teacher. Let me just state for the record, I hate being teacher. If you can't get along and do your work, then no recess for you!

Hmm, I seem to have work issues. Who knew?

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lansing, Michigan, United States

Desert Shield/storm vet. I am the one at work who comes up with the ideas on filling up those non-work hours. (ok, who is up for canoeing this weekend?) After several wrong turns, have finally found the love of my life.

Powered by Blogger